This blog recently discussed the serious nature of catastrophic injuries for car accident victims. One type of catastrophic injury, traumatic brain injuries, deserves a closer look because of the devastation these types of injuries can cause for victims and their families.
What are the symptoms of traumatic brain injuries (TBI)?
Symptoms of traumatic brain injuries include:
- Physical symptoms – including problems with movement, headaches and other physical symptoms
- Thinking impairments – including problems with thought, focus, attention and memory
- Problems with sensation – including problems with vision or hearing
- Mood disruptions – depression or other mood or emotional changes may occur
- Personality changes – altered personality is possible
How can a personal injury claim help with TBI damages?
A personal injury claim for damages may be able to help victims of traumatic brain injuries and their families with their costs associated with a traumatic brain injury including:
- Medical expenses – including medical costs and future medical care costs in some instances;
- Lost wages – lost wages and lost-earning capacity may also be available in some instances; and
- Pain and suffering damages – damages for the emotional toll of an unexpected traumatic brain injury which can be extensive for victims and families.
Traumatic brain injuries can be life-altering for victims. Because of this, they can also dramatically impact families, communities and society as a whole. They can require lifetime treatment and care for victims and be costly to treat which is why victims of traumatic brain injuries need to be familiar with the legal remedies and resources available to protect them.